Sunday, October 11, 2009

Blogging Around

Alex, I'm glad you commented on the issue of the war in Afghanistan. Looking at what you wrote, it seems you have a similar opinion to that of Mr. William's. I too believe that it is our not our business to be in others affairs. However, I agree with NATO Secretary-General that we need to stay there "as long as it takes to finish our job". Hopefully "Our job" is to rid Afghanistan of the terrorist organizations and set up a working political system, but we don't know. I believe that after gaining control of Afghanistan, to have different results than the Russians and the Taliban, that NATO must follow up and create a working government. Overall, I agree that we must finish what we started but finish it in a way that we don't mess up the end game.

Darrell I cannot help but agree wholeheartedly with you on this issue. The technology today, thought it has its benefits, it really distorting the meaning of "Identity". Like you say Darrell, Facebook and other technologies are creating a virtual world in which you can easily alter your identity to your pleasure. This is a growing problem because identities are so easily created or changed it is hard to truly know who anyone is or what they stand for anymore.
One point that you've made that I've seen made before is the point of how technology is destroying the art of communication. As Mrs. Bergmann, my 6th 7th and 8th drama teacher once said, "With all of this technology, our youth is in jeopardy of losing all arts of communication, like facial expressions, sarcasm, hand gestures, and any other added emotions". I begin to see what she means as now as I am talking to you, Darrell, on a lifeless, emotionless blog post. The way you say things is often more important than what you say. i.e. "Darrell you are so smart" am I being serious or sarcastic right now? Overall, I believe the loss of communication and the too simple way you can end relationships make friends, and define yourself with a couple clicks offsets the benefits of today's technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Email Me!