Tuesday, November 17, 2009

imedia: One-armed basketball player earns scholarship

Bing Video: One-armed basketball player earns scholarship

Having to think of a video that interested me and that I could successfully discuss, my mind, naturally, went back a week to the time when I was sitting in a orthodontist office, reading a sports illustrated. Looking through the various articles, one of them caught my eye. "Kevin Laue gets Manhattan scholarship" reading the title nothing didn't seem too special but after reading the article, I realized that he received a division one scholarship with only one arm. Frankly, I think getting a division I scholarship is already hard enough but with one arm? My mind began to wonder, "How could he shoot?", "Doesn't he have a hard time catching passes?". I was amazed that someone with that much of a physical disability was able to preform with elite basketball players. However, many of my questions of "How could he pull this off?" A lot of these questions were answered by something mentioned in the video and in the article, his work ethic. What an athlete may lack in athleticism or skill, can be made up by the willingness to work hard and always give a hundred percent. For Kevin, he knows that if he wants to accomplish his goals that, because of his physical disability, must constantly be outworking his opponents. It is also important to set goals if you're passionate about something. Kevin, as he explained in the video, has set manageable goals for himself that provides motivation for him and that he strives to achieve. Goals are important in general, not only in sports, because they give you something to work for and when achieved, give you a sense of accomplishment like nothing else.
Perhaps this video could answer another question of mine, why are sports important? What is the point of them, do they really matter? These were some questions that were brought up at a friends house by his mother and at the time, my friend's father and I were unable to give a storng answer. This lead me to think, why does it matter if the Bear's are winning or not? What's the significance of the Cubs winning the World Series. Who cares who wins the NBA playoffs? Actually, why do sports matter at all? After viewing this video I realize the answer, it's about recognizing the accomplishments of the players and athletes that put so much of there time and talent to achieve their goals. When watching sports on TV, we have to remember that those athletes are humans just like us, with wants, needs, dreams, and goals. Sports, though just games, are a place were many inspirational stories materialize and where athletes of many years achieve their goals for something they love doing, and it is important that we recognize this.
Reading this story, I was inspired and happy to see that despite a physical disability, this basketball player was able to achieve so much. It reminds me, and hopefully many others, to always try your best, and never quit when you have a dream. It also sends the message that just because you're disadvantaged, maybe severally or not as severally as Kevin, that it can't stop you from reaching your goals.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post Merrick! I strongly agree with your thoughts! It is amazing that a kid with one hand is playing basketball and has earned a division I scholarship! It's very inspirational. As sports is important to you, it is very important for me,too. The only problem is: I suck at sports! As a freshmen, one of my personal goals has been to make any one of the sports Varsity teams by the time I'm either a junior or senior. That would be AWESOME!! I do have a great passion for sports. My drawbacks are probably that I was never raised with playing sports. I was never enrolled in Youth soccer or volleyball or whatever. Although, I've made sure my sister is enrolled in the park district so she continues to improve and get better as an athlete.
    I play very enthusiastically, whether I play right or wrong. It's something I love to do. Unfortunately, I lack a whole lot of skill and it's not easy to find places to train you from the beginning at my age. I love volleyball. That's a sport I truly love and to think me being on the Varsity...and collegiate...WOW. Although, volleyball is 10x harder than Badminton for me. I probably wouldn't have given up on V-ball varsity if I found a place that would be able to train me, but I never found anything. I haven't given up on the varsity thing yet, maybe for badminton or something. I probably won't be on the Varsity Volleyball, but it will be a personal goal to continue to improve at it and Kevin definitely inspires me to continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merrick, this is a great post and I particularly liked the theme of work ethic and its significance. I agree that in many things, including but not exclusive to athletics, hard work is something that is universally necessary and will pave the way to achieving your goals. Something my coach has told us countless times is that "there's no shame in giving it all you've got and falling short." Some people are born with talent, some people aren't. You can't control that, but what you can control is what work you put in.

    ReplyDelete

 

Email Me!